Tuesday, June 22, 2010


This Friday I teach Interior Designers one of my favorite CEU's -Antiquing in NY -studying the Period English and French rooms at the Metropolitan Museum in NY. I adore teaching these rooms, especially the spectacular Louis XV Rococo rooms. This photo of one of French Rococo room at the Metropolitan Museum captures the essence of the Rococo style. The Louis XV Rococo Era is famous for its elaborate gilding, its luscious serpentine curves, and its asymmetry where straight lines were eliminated whenever possible! Look at these magnificent curvaceous gilt chairs, the red lacquer and gilt desk that was owned by Louis XV himself, the huge mirrors that make everything shimmer and shine, the fabulous chandelier, the Savonerie Rug, and the elegant gilt boiserie walls! Though I have taught this class many times before, whenever I teach these Period Rooms, I am always awed to be in the presence of such great design and furniture construction. The ebenists were able to create masterpieces by hand that are so much better than we can ever create today - even with all our machinery, Though I wouldn't want to actually live in this room on a full time basis because it is a bit too formal for me and for most of my clients lifestyle's today - I can't but help marvel at its beauty and magnificence. Don't you agree?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home